1
out of 5
POSTED: | BY: Viv
I can't believe they can get away with this!
I have a service dog. I am very conscientious about her care because I am dependent on her for my independence. My vet has been offering a package deal where she gets her yearly check-up, blood, stool and urine tests, etc. for 1 discounted price. The last 2 tests showed a slight elevation in 1 of 2 kidney values (The first showed the slight elevation in 1, the 2nd showed a slight elevation in the other while the first went down). My vet told me about it and has been watching those values carefully "just in case". He stated several times, "she does not have kidney disease", because I was all concerned. I asked what I could do to help prevent it and he suggested a prescription diet, "however, she does not have kidney disease!". I decided that if something would happen, I should get insurance for her before it became a pre-existing condition. I called Nationwide, agreed to pay for her rx diet, her allergy pills, and her supplements. Then I sent in my first claim. it took 8 MONTHS to hear back from them (other than several notes saying they needed another 30 days to make a determination). After paying them for 8 months, they determined that besides the things we discussed, they also were not going to pay for anything kidney related because of those slightly elevated blood tests, and they also were not going to pay for anything for her ears because she had "itchy ears". Duh people, that's why she takes allergy pills in the spring through fall, and I already agreed to pay for her pills, but that was not enough apparently. She hasn't been seen for her ears for a long time now. Talk about searching for ANYTHING they can find so they can determine a pre-existing condition!! 2 different vets were very surprised to find that Nationwide had denied kidney problems as a pre-existing condition because, "she does not HAVE kidney disease!" I searched for a way to appeal that decision, but there was nothing in the paperwork even saying there is a way to appeal. Next month, I have to sign up for another year, and believe it or not, they are raising their prices approximately $57 a month!! I've decided to just put that money into a separate savings account for her to pay for her vet bills instead of depending on Nationwide. Because I believe that if she does get sick, they will find a way to disqualify it as a pre-existing condition if they have to take a full year to do it!