I bought pet insurance because my dog is a pure bred and I was concerned about genetic conditions that they are prone towards. I didn't think he could get in any other danger as he is inside most of the time. Well, the family came home early from vacation...doors that were supposed to stay shut were left open...and yada,yada,yada..my dog ate rat poison. He was rushed to the Vet ER and his stomach was pumped. We had bills over $600. PetPlan paid right away and we couldn't be happier with the service.