PetsPlusUs paid fast and was AMAZING!

Out of 10

Our little Jack Russel Terrier puppy Jack who had always been in perfect health and pretty god at staying out of trouble, unexpectedly got into a bottle of ibuprofen one evening while we were out to dinner. We discovered the travel sized Advil bottle chewed open and a few pills on the floor, and had no idea what to do. It was too late to call friends, and we didn't know if it was a danger, or if anything was wrong, because our sweet little Jack was jumping around and playful as usual. After trying to find answers online, we were not sure if this was an emergency. We remembered the helpline with our insurance plan and decided to call. They quickly answered even though it was by now 2 am, and asked for some specifics about what happened, they were compassionate and thorough. They then put me on hold while calling the poison control line and came back to confirm this could be really serious, that I should not wait for symptoms to appear and get to a hospital immediately.They were calm and supportive but convincing enough that I figured out where there was a 24 hour hospital and took him in right away. Little did I know that this was a potentially fatal situation. Had I not called them and had their good and thorough advice, Jack may have died. The vet taking him in explained we had two choices get him into treatment right away, which involved immediate admittance and payment, or take him home, however she explained if we took him home by the time symptoms would appear it may be too late. He might be at risk of kidney failure. I was at a loss, knowing we had the insurance in place to back us up financially helped us make sure we got him into immediate treatment, and we were extremely lucky we did at that time. He had in fact been poisoned and several days later, we saw how dangerous this had been. The treatment didn't take after the first 24 hours so we had to run more tests and admit him again for another 3 days. Without our coverage it woudl have been financially devastating. We received the refund for the first hospital visit before Jack had even fully recovered and we received the follow up reimbursement in full within 5 days from submitting them. No questions asked. In addition, during the process I had tweeted PetsPlusUs thanking them for the support and the product, i was so devastated as we waited news of how he was doing, that I didn't know what else to do.

Did you find this review helpful?
ibuprofen poisoning
Claim Amount
Over $1000

Jack Russell Terrier

Age of Pet
Under a year

Leave a comment

Enter the characters shown in the image.
Posted: 09/19/2014
By: Randy Valpy - …

Hi Mila, thank you for your very kind review. I'm sorry to hear about all that you and Jack went through, but I'm glad that Pets Plus Us was able to assist you both. I hope that Jack is doing well and keeping out of trouble.
If I can every be of any assistance to you please don't hesitate to contact me at or at 905-247-5401 which is my direct line.

All the best,