Our puppy swallowed an acorn when we weren't watching. Naturally, the acorn lodged in her intestine and she became very sick. We had no choice but to take her in for emergency surgery in the middle of the night with a new vet. The surgery was a success but the bills from our normal vet and the emergency surgery were around $2,500. I filled out a claim form and attached the vet bills. VPI sent a check for $2,250, note that I have a $250 deductible. My experience on this particular claim has been fantastic.